Weave Graphic Design » History » Version 4
Weave Graphic Design¶
In reaction to feedback from our users, the CT Data Collaborative has been working on the graphic design of Weave tools.
In prep for that, we identified the parameters we have been tweaking to develop a clean and modern look and feel in the tools.
He figured out how things work by changing many aspects of the session state to see what they did (one resource that we should develop together with UML is a dictionary or guide to what each session state parameter does).
Session State Parameters used to date¶
Here are some of the parameters we have found to adjust the look and feel -- PLEASE ADD MORE FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE
- barSpacing – Changes the spaces between the bars – Can be done in the tool interface as well.
- lineStyle > SolidLineStyle – Change the opacity of the line around the bars/turns off bar borders
- showColors - bin/color rows in the data table
- backgroundColor1 & backgroundColor2 - Change the alternating lines of the data table – This website has decimal color values http://www.mathsisfun.com/hexadecimal-decimal-colors.html
- showControls – show export, clear, edit, move button in data table
- showFilters - show filters on the top of table
- ALso, A lot of different aspects in the tool settings such as axis rotation, spacing, alpha and weight on axis and sub-axis lines.
- You can add a "%" sign at the end of a percentage value in two ways. You could edit the tick label function in the axis settings (http://i.imgur.com/ew1sKgO.png) or you could set a string formatter in the admin console (http://info.oicweave.org/news/22)
Additional session state parameters we would like to have¶
Parameters we would like to gain control over to customize but have not figured out yet or are not yet available. PLEASE ADD YOUR IDEAS HERE. Once we have a few, we will add to REDMINE as a feature request
- Changing specific fonts for each tool or area of a tool (title, x-axis, y-axis, table headings, etc.) individually
- Copy/paste tools, specifically annotations - we have to create a new annotation for each new text box, re-set all settings. Very time consuming.
- Could already be possible (as seen in Utah) - the ability to unlink tools so they can be updated by different attribute selector tools or change values when a year is changed.
- Controlling the height and color of bar chart column headers – Not always able to see the titles
- Might a chart’s border be colored independently from its gridlines? It currently looks like the gridlines are rendered in front of the border. If you wanted, say, a solid black border with grey gridlines, I’m not aware of way you could do that currently (the grey would show up like tick marks on the border) (T.Harrigan, ProvPlan)
- Can the vertical and horizontal gridlines be assigned colors and thicknesses independently? There are cases where a user might only want the horizontal gridlines to appear, or perhaps only the vertical gridlines (i.e., thickness of "0" and/or color matches background)
Examples of different designs in Weave¶
Please add links to your work in Weave and commentary.
Connecticut¶(to be added soon)